1. What are some of the reasons that Bigger begins to trust Jan and Boris Max?
2. Why does Bigger attack Reverend Hammond and discard the cross Hammond has given to him?
3. What two incidents in the novel indicate that the author believes that the psychiatric profession has contributed to racism?
4. What is Bigger’s response to his family’s visit to see him in jail; what is most disturbing about the scene?
5. How does Buckley use racist tactics to imbue the white community with fear and hatred of African Americans?